Recently launched Windows 11 is becoming very popular these days for its cool features. One of the new features announced by Microsoft in Windows 11 is the ZIP file format i.e. unzip a zipped file or create a new one.
You can create different virtual desktops for each part of your life like for gaming, office work, or personal stuff. If you are newly upgraded to windows 11 and don’t know how to operate it properly, this guide is only for you.
Compressed or zipped files are currently favored by all because they are easily accessible, can be handled well, and are the most useful tool in the office workplace. Zipped files are used to compress a bunch of gathered files in a folder. It works similarly to a normal file in a folder.
For instance, you have to mail 15 files at a time to your boss and can’t send each of them individually. This time zipping files came to use. You can zip up individual files in a single zip archive and then email it.
It’s time-saving and they will be compressed to reduce storage and make transmitting them across the internet that much easier. Along with that, zip files are also used for other things and we’ll get into them later.
Let’s move towards how you can unzip a file in Windows 11, and later we can discuss how to zip them.
How to Unzip a File in Windows 11?
Windows has an inbuilt feature for zipping and unzipping the files, therefore you don’t need to download or install any third-party apps or software to access this feature.
To unzip a compressed file or folder follow the given directions. First, browse the zipped folder in the file explorer from which you want to unzip/extract the files or folders and follow the given –
1. Extract All –
- Press and hold or right-click the folder.
- Click on Extract All.
- Or alternatively, you can just selcet the folder and look in command bar.
- In command bar, you will find the option – Extract All, click on it.
- Now, select the destination path where you want to extract the zip content.
- By default, the destination of the zipped folder is the same as zipped file path but you can change the destination path.
- Fill the checkbox below “show extracted files when complete”.
- Now click the Extract button that appears at the bottom right corner.
2. Extract Selected –
To unzip only selected or a single file out of the zip folder –
- Open the zipped folder by double clicking it or right click>open.
- Copy the selected files and then paste them to a desired location.
- Or drag the file or folder from the zip folder to a desired location.
And that’s it!! You’ve successfully unzipped/extracted the files or folders from a zipped format.
How to Create/Compress a Zip File?
Compressing any folder as a zip file is just as simple as unzipping them, but for you, I have written the steps in detail here –
- To create a zip file, first, browse all the files you want to add in ZIP format in file explorer/manager.
- Drag the cursor over the file and double click or right-click on the file.
- A drop-down menu appears.
- Select the Compress to ZIP file.
- A new file with the same name appears in the exact same place. (Rename it if you want.)
- You can also create a zip file by right-clicking in the blank area on your desktop/desired location.
- And then click on new.
- Click on the compressed (zipped) folder.
- You will notice a new zipped folder appears on the desktop.
- Now, the zip file is created, select and drag your files into the same folder.
- You need to select the files you want to compress.
- select the files at once>Right click>Send to>compressed (zipped) folder.
- Keep a note that all the files being selected are copied into the zipped folder.
There are many ways to perform this simple task like you can create a folder and then copy files in that folder. Or you can select all the files first and then create a folder. Either way, it’s easy to create a zip folder on the device.
With zipping files, you can use it as a backup file and just extract zip files when you need to use them. Moreover, I would like to share that an empty folder cannot be compressed.
You May Also Read:
Zipping and unzipping files in windows 11 is just bread and butter. Although, if you are a beginner, it’s okay to take a little time. Zipping and unzipping files is the most useful tool as it saves disk storage for you by compressing the files and saves your time too.
Well, I have mentioned the step-by-step process for extracting the files from a zipped format. Still, if you have any doubts or queries, feel free to ask in the comments section.
Good luck learning!