This article is on the most searched query “How to unzip and Zip File?” So, let us discuss what is a Zip File and also how to extract a zip file?
We are familiar with the term “Zip”, it is a type of file format which is widely used. Whenever we download a bunch of files over the internet it comes in a Zipped file.
You may also think about why zip files are so popular. It is because Zip is the compressed folder of files and compressed files save space on the hard drive without disturbing the quality. So, it makes it easier to exchange on the internet.
Normally, Zip is used for archiving files that are used rarely or to send documents and pictures as attachments via email. This compression or zipped files reduce the file size.
Also, almost all developers used zip commonly to compress files and make them available to potential viewers or customers on websites or FTP Servers to download.
So, in this article, we give complete information on “How to extract a zip file?” And moreover, we also explain “How to zip the files?” so read the full article to understand it better
What Is A Zip File & How To Extract A Zip File?
Well, What is a zip? Zip files are the archive files and help you to keep all files together and put them in a folder. And that folder’s size can be reduced by using any zip software. Zip files are commonly used in emails for sending files.
Not only that, but also it reduces the actual size of any folder. Generally, we are not allowed to send a .exe file over the emails, because mails consider any .exe file as a virus so if you zip them it can be easily sent over mails.
Winzip is one of the most popular apps for creating a zip file and reduces the size. For knowing about How to extract a Zip file. Follow the steps given below.
Extracting a Zip File
You get a zip file via downloading from a website or as an attachment with the email. Or with games or some other files. You just double click on the folder and get access to the content of the folder but before this, you have to unzip or extract the compressed file.
For extracting files there are two ways to extract files from a zipped folder
Using Extract All Wizard
- Go to the location where the zip file is placed.
- Right-click on the zipped folder saves at your device.
- Now from the list, select “Extract All”.
- Click on Next. By default, the compressed or zipped files are extracted at the same place where the zip folder is located. But you can select an alternative location to unzip the folder
- Then click on “Browse”. Now choose the location where you would like to save the files.
- Click “Extract”.
- Finally, click on Finish.
Your files are extracted from a zipped folder and a new folder is created with the same name of the folder. This folder contains all the files while the zipped folder also remains on the device.
You can delete the zipped folder if you don’t want it on your PC. But make sure the unzipped folder should be there.
Using File Explorer
- Navigate to the compressed or Zipped folder, double click on it.
- Now select the file or files you want to extract.
- On the selected file or files, right-click on it.
- A list of options will appear to choose Cut from it.
- Now go to the location where you want to extract or unzip it.
- Paste at your desired location by pressing right-click on it.
You can also go inside the zipped folder; select the items you want and then click on the Extract Tab. Select your location for extracting the files.
If it doesn’t show your desired location that means the location is not listed. Then click on the More button and choose the location button to find the correct destination.
It also happens that some files are locked or password-protected, so to unzip or extracting them you have to enter the password then it will be extracted.
Now we had known that how to extract a zip file. let us discuss how to compress a zip file.
Read More: How to Download APK on iOS?
How to Compress / Zip files?
Now you will know that zip file is a popular file format and how important it is. If you want to zip files on your hard drive then how to do it.
Let we discuss it, to compress or zip the files we have to do the following:
- Go to the File Explorer/ My computer, open it.
- Navigate to the location along with the items you want to compress.
- Now, on empty space right-click, select New, then click on Compressed (Zipped) Folder.
- Now give a name to the folder and press Enter.
- Select the files and folders you want to compress.
- Right-click on the selection and select the CUT option.
- Now, right-click on the compressed folder and select paste.
If you are compressing the file only to share with someone over the internet via mail or any other medium. Then you can change some of the steps to do so. Let we discuss:
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to the location of the files or folders which you want to compress.
- Select the files and folders you want to share then right-click on them.
- Select Send To, then click on Compressed/ Zipped folder, type a name for the compressed folder.
Once you have done these steps, you can send this as attachments with emails or for another source. so these are the steps to zip a file or folder.
How To Recognize A Zip File?
Well, for recognization of any Zip file is easy task. There are two ways for finding and recognize a Zip File on your computer.
- If any folder having a ZIP on its icon, that means its a zip file. And you can do rigt-click on the folder and choose properties to to find the file extension.
- In windows 10 open file explorer and tap on the “View” top of the screen then check on “File Name Extension”. That will show you every file’s extension.
In this present scenario, the zipped file format is widely used due to its compressed format and low space requirement.
We came with this article in which we explain step by step What Is A Zip File? How To Recognize A Zip File, How To Extract A Zip File? And also discussed how to zip or compress a file or folder. I hope you will find this article helpful.