One of the easiest things to lose and the hardest thing to find is the remote control to your TV. If you have not bought or come across a TV that was manufactured in the last 3 years, you would be surprised how far the industry has come in terms of TV quality and experience.
Gone are the days of the dumb TVs that had just a tube in the name of television. You would be surprised to know the number of TVs that are based on Android smart TV OS than those without. The number has completely flipped in the favour of those with rather than those without.
Can I Use My LG Smart Tv Without Remote?
You would also be surprised to see what a smart TV OS such as Android can bring to the table. Being an Android TV, there are ways to control or use your TV with your Android-enabled phone as well. We are going to explore such ways today in case you have lost your traditional TV remote and cannot find it. So let’s take a look at these Methods to Use LG Smart tv without remote:
Method 1. Using a mouse to control your LG TV
This is a unique method to control your LG TV, one that often gets overlooked and ignored altogether.
For this method to work, you will need either a wired mouse or a wireless mouse. We would recommend using a wireless mouse so that you do not need to stand in front of or close to the TV if you want to change something.
This is probably the most basic way to use LG Smart tv without remote. Here is how you can do it –
- Your LG smart TV will have USB port tucked away somewhere either behind the panel or mounted on either side of the panel.
- Plug in your USB mouse in any of the given USB ports.
- Turn on your TV using the power button.
- Select INPUTS using the channel up or down buttons.
- You will be greeted by a prompt on the right side of the screen.
- Use your mouse to select the input you want to use.
As simple as that and works like a charm. It might feel off in the beginning, but you will get used to it after a while.
Method 2. Manual controls of the LG TV
No TV, even today, comes without actual physical buttons that are meant for basic functionality. You can use these buttons to control your TV in case if you have lost the remote control for it. Here are all the buttons that you will find either at the back or at the side of your LG TV –
- Power ON or OFF button – You will get a single key to do both the functions. This is usually at the top of the order of the buttons on the physical TV itself. You can find this button under the logo and can manualy turn on and turn off your LG Smart Tv.
- Menu button – This button will take you to the main menu of the TV
- OK button – This key common in most of the TVs. Once you navigate to the option you want to select, you confirm your actions using this key.
- Channel buttons – These are commonly used for navigating through the menu and the UI of the TV.
- Volume buttons – Often located at the bottom, these also help you in navigating through the UI and the menu apart from helping you increase or decrease the TV volume.
These buttons will most certainly help you navigate through the menu and the UI, but in today’s digital age, we no longer have a single source of audio/video.
You will often find another key labeled as ‘Source’ at the back of the TV. Pressing down the source button will help you switch to your set-top box or any other source that you may have plugged into your TVs such as your gaming console or something like a Fire Stick.
The problem with the physical keys is that you will not be able to scroll through the TV settings and change them to your liking. It will also take you a long time to navigate through all the channels before you stumble upon the channel you were looking for.
Method 3. Use LG Smart tv with a smartphone
All smart TVs these days work with an internet connection to bring the smart tag to it. They often require an internet connection either via ethernet or Wi-Fi. Most TVs come with their own application for smartphones. These applications can be used to control your smart TV through these mobile applications.
One that LG pairs with is called LG ThinQ app. You can find it on the Google play store and download it from there. You will, however, still need to turn on your TV using the physical buttons located either at the back or mounted at the side of your LG TV. Here is how to get the app working with your LG TV –
- Download the ThinQ app from the Google Play Store.
- Once you download and install the app on your smartphone, you will need to pair it with your TV.
- Remember, you need to be on the same network, i.e. Wi-Fi, for this method to work. If your TV and smartphone are not on the same network, this method will not work.
- You will then need to press the ‘+’ symbol. You will find it at the top of the screen. After that, you will then be prompted by the app with a certain number of questions. Provide the asked information and click OK.
- Now, go to the Home Appliances page of the application. You will find a list of devices available. Look for your TV on the list and select it.
- You will be prompted with the verification code on the TV. Feed it into the app and press OK.
- Now go back to the home page and you will find all your TV remote controls on the app.
Method 4. Using other smartphone apps to control your LG TV
If you are unable to download or for some reason unable to use the ThinQ app, there are other similar options of applications that are available on the Google Play Store. Let’s explore some of these options.
- Android TV Remote – this app does exactly what it says. You will need to be on the same network (wi-fi) as your TV for this to work. It works in a similar fashion as the ThinQ app. This app can only control Android TVs though. It has great features apart from TV controls such as Google voice assistant. You can use your voice to control your TV.
- Universal TV Remote Control – this is one of the most basic apps out there to control your TV. This also requires you to be on the same network as your TV (wi-fi). It is most suited for people who have cable and need to scroll through the channels.
Method 5. Using your Xbox to control your LG TV
This method is exclusive to people who own an Xbox. If you have lost your TV remote and have an Xbox, well, you are in luck. It may be overkill for controlling your TV if you have lost your remote. It can not only control your Xbox features but your entire TV as well. Here is how you can control your LG TV with an Xbox –
- Turn on the TV and Xbox.
- Go to Settings > TV > OneGuide Menu
- Now you will need to select Device Control
- You will be shown a list of devices. Select LG TV.
- Once done, click on the option which reads Automatic > Send Command
- This will then mute your TV. Click ‘Yes’ once your TV is muted
- Press the B button and then Power Settings.
- Select the option that reads ‘Xbox One turns on and off my devices’
And that is it, folks. As simple as that to control your TV if you have lost your remote.
You may also like:
- How To Watch HBO Max on LG Smart TV?
- How To Download Apps for LG Smart TV?
- Reset Your LG Smart TV to Factory Settings
- How To Get Spectrum App On LG Smart TV?
Most smart TVs these days come with smart features that let you control them with your phone or other devices. There are always physical buttons that are available in case you lose your remote and need quick access options to your TV.
Losing your remote is nothing new. At least in this day and age, you can now turn to other options that are readily available in your household to use LG Smart tv without remote , unlike the previous generation where you had no other option but to go to the store and buy a new remote.
We recommend you not wait for losing your TV’s remote control and set up your smartphone to be in sync with your TV well in advance. These tips and tricks do come in handy when the situation arises. Convenient and easy-to-use apps for controlling your TV are a great idea and we suggest you implement it right away before you lose your TV control.