Xbox Controller is a device that allows you to play games online. Due to the increase in popularity of online games, the sales of Xbox are increasing rapidly. This controller works fine but sometimes some users raise queries about how their Xbox Controller keeps turning off.
This problem can occur when you successfully connect an Xbox to a device. If you are also facing this issue, then you can follow this guide where I am sharing with you some troubleshooting steps to fix it.
I also like to play online games on a big screen like a TV by using Xbox. At the time, I was going to play some games, so I connected the Xbox successfully but I am getting the same issue, which is that the Xbox Controller keeps turning off.
After that, I checked my Xbox completely and the issue was not fixed. So, I started finding the reasons for the issue and troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.
The steps I found from the research, I am going to share with you in this guide. So read this post carefully to know about the reason for the issue without skipping any section to know about each step.
Without wasting any time, let’s move forward.
What are the reasons for the issue Xbox Controller keeps Turning Off?
When your Xbox Controller keeps turning off after successfully connecting or fully charging, then it may be due to lots of reasons. So the reason may be:
- The batteries of your controller are damaged.
- You are using the Xbox Controller too far away from the gaming console.
- Controller Firmware is not updated to the latest version.
- Overload of connected devices on Gaming Console.
- There may be issues with software or hardware.
So, these are the reasons that can be responsible for the Xbox Controller keeps turning off. You need to check if one of the reasons exists for your Xbox Controller not working properly.
When you find out the accurate reason, let’s move to the other section to know about troubleshooting steps.
How to fix Xbox controller turning itself off?
Basically, you don’t have to try all the ways. You can choose any of the ways that you think are perfect to fix the Xbox controller issues.
- Try to move your controller closer to the console
- Replace the old batteries or recharge the battery back
- Power cycle your Xbox console
- Try to reconnect with the Xbox controller
- Update the firmware of your controller
- If your controller is connected to a PC then you can update your Xbox One controller driver.
- Try another controller
Moving your controller closer to the console to solve the issue of the Xbox controller turning
Your Xbox One controller may keep disconnecting because sometimes it is out of range If you are using a wireless Xbox one controller.
You can try to place your controller near the console and you can see that your problem is resolved. Also, make sure that your controller is facing the front side of the console. Otherwise, it will not catch the range of the console.
Replace the old batteries or recharge the battery pack
Sometimes the battery becomes an issue if your Xbox One controller keeps disconnecting. As the battery became old, the connection started fluctuating. You can see the battery indicator on the home screen. It will help you to verify how much your battery is.
If you are unable to replace the battery you can also recharge the battery pack.
Power cycle your Xbox console
Easily a power cycle can restart your Xbox One console which is helpful for fixing issues on your console and your controller.
How can you power cycle your Xbox console?
- You have to hold the Xbox button on the front of your Xbox One console for about 10 seconds. It will turn off your Xbox console.
- Now you have to press the Xbox button on the console this will help you to turn on the Xbox One.
- After you turn on your controller you can see it fixes your connection problem.
Try to reconnect with the Xbox controller
You can also try to reconnect the Xbox controller to your console. This will help to rebuild the connection and also get rid of the problem of Xbox controllers disconnecting again and again.
If you are using a wired controller. then unplug the cable and plug it back again. If the same problem is coming up, then you can also try another cable or USB port to check if the problem is resolved.
Aur If you are using a wireless controller. Then, you can follow the steps which are given below. These steps will help you to reconnect your wireless controller with the console.
- You have to hold down the wireless connect button on the controller until the controller button starts flashing.
- Hold down the wireless connect button on the controller until the Xbox button stays on.
- Now you can check the controller and your problem is resolved.
Update of controller firmware
Sometimes the Xbox one controller disconnects because of an outdated version of the controller. If you are controller firmware is not up to date. Then it is totally unusual and you need another controller to operate your Xbox One console.
How to update your controller firmware?
To update your controller firmware. You need to follow the given steps:
- You can connect a USB cable between the controller and the console.
- Now silent to Xbox live on your Xbox One console.
- Then press the menu button on your controller.
- Select the settings to option on your controller.
- After that, you have to select devices and accessories.
- Select the option of problem controller.
- Select the update option on your Xbox One wireless controller.
- Click on continue.
- During this process, if your system tells you that ‘no updates are needed. Then your controller firmware is up to date. It is not updated and then waits for the update to complete.
- Now you can check your controller to get back to normal.
Update the Xbox one controller driver
If your connected controller keeps disconnecting then, it is possible that you are using the wrong controller driver or it is not updated. So if you update the Xbox one controller driver then you can easily fix your problem.
If you don’t have enough time to update the Xbox one controller. Then you can do it automatically with the help of Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize the problem in your system and find the correct drivers for it. Driver Easy is an automatic way that can easily fix the problem on your Xbox One controller.
How can you update your drivers automatically with either the free version or the provision of driver easy? The pro version app easy driver comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The steps to update the drivers automatically are as follows:
- Download and install Driver Easy on your system.
- Run the driver easily and click on the ‘scan now’ button driver will then scan your computer and detect if any problem occurs.
- Then you have to click update all to automatically download the update whenever the update comes up. (It only happens in the pro version of driver easy). If you are doing this or free it can be manual for you.
- Now restart your computer and check the changes on your system.
Try another controller for your system
If still you are facing the same problem of disconnection and you are unable to fix the issue. Then you can use another controller for your system as your controller needs to be replaced. And again the same issue comes with your controller then your console needs to be serviced.
How do you Disable the Auto Sleep option to keep Xbox Controller from Turning Off?
When you don’t use the Xbox controller for a long time while playing games, then it automatically shuts down and goes into an idle position. This happens due to the enabled Auto sleep option in the Xbox Controller.
So, you need to disable the Auto sleep option from the Settings of the Xbox Controller.
If you don’t have any idea how to disable it, then follow these steps.
- Open your Xbox dashboard.
- Select Profile.
- Select Settings and then General.
- Go to the Power and Startup option.
- Tap on Turn off later.
- Now, select Don’t turn automatically.
By following these methods you successfully disable the Auto sleep option on Xbox Controller.
You May Also Like:
- Take Apart Xbox One Controller
- Why Does My Xbox Keep Turning Off
- How to Reset Xbox One and change password
These were the seven methods to fix the Xbox Controller keeps turning off issue. You don’t need to follow all methods. Just find a reason for the problem and follow the appropriate method.
Before following any method, make sure that you have disconnected power cables from Xbox, otherwise, you can get an electric shock. So follow the steps with full discipline and awareness.
I hope you got some valuable information from this post and that you can easily fix your Xbox Controller’s issue. If you have any suggestions and queries, then mention them in the comment section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of batteries can I use in the Xbox Controller?
You can use good quality AA batteries in the Xbox Controller to play games.
Which is the best method to keep the Xbox Controller on while playing games?
If you think the Xbox Controller can be turned off, then you can use the USB cable with your gaming console while playing games.
Why is the Auto Sleep option best for the Xbox Controller?
When you don’t use the controller during a break while playing games, then the Auto Sleep option helps you to save the battery power of your controller.
Can I recharge the batteries of the Xbox Controller?
You can use high-quality rechargeable batteries in the controller. When they get discharged, then you can recharge them and use them again.