How to add apps on Vizio smart TV? Adding apps on smart TVs is sometimes a real pain. Generally, Smart TVs are expected to add our favorite apps and enjoy the content they offer.
All Smart TVs are different from one another, some provide a limited number of built-in apps which you can control.
Vizio Smart TVs allow you to add your favorite apps on the go. Later in 2016, Vizio changed its approach with the launch of its Smart Cash platform.
So I have written this post for Vizio Smart TV owners and will guide you on how to add apps on Vizio Smart TV.
This post explains to you how to add apps on Vizio Smart Tv featuring SmartCast. Also, additional information is provided for older Vizio TVs that features Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) and Vizio Internet Apps+ (VIA+)
How to Add Apps On Vizio Smart TV
Before we begin: Check that your Vizio Smart TV is connected to the internet to be able to use apps.
Installing apps on Vizio SMart TV depends on the capability of the platform it is running on, its release, and the model series.
- Until 2017 VIZIO VIA & VIZ PLUS TVs releases allow you to install apps from the Connected TV Store.
- Vizio Smart TVs released between 2016 – 2017 do not provide any built-in app nor allow you to install any apps but you’re able to cast content via Chromecast-enabled apps on your tablet or phone.
- Vizio 4K UHD TVs released during 2016 – 2017 and smart cast TVs released in 2018 don’t allow you to install apps. Apps available in these series are all built-in. Apart from this, you are able to cast content from Chromecast-enabled apps that are installed on your android phone, Tablet or can even cast from Apple devices over AirPlay.
Read More: How To Get HBO Max On My Vizio Smart Tv?
Adding Apps to a SmartCast TV
Core apps are preinstalled on SmartCast TVs allows you to directly select these apps. And allows you to access an additional group of apps that you can cast.
However, if you wish to add apps that are not preinstalled in the core list or the preselected mobile apps available for instant casting.
You must add those apps to your smartphone so that you can cast them to the TV like you do when using a Chromecast device.
With this, we understand that any app that is added is not available on the core Apps list. And installed on your TV resides on your smartphone and you will need to cast them whenever you wish to watch.
Adding an app is an easy process and is the same as you do it on a Chromecast device.
- Go to the Google Play Store or iTunes. This will depend on what smartphone you are using.
- For casting select an available Chromecast-enabled app for casting
- After you have selected an app, click on [install]
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, it’s not registered into your smartphone’s cast list.
- In order to Cast any app, open the app you desire to cast and tap the Cast Logo at the top of your smartphone screen.
When Cast is initiated and the content is playing on the display or the SmartCast.
You can carry on performing other tasks on your smartphone such as – Making a phone call, searching for other content, turning the smartphone off.
Even leaving the house with your phone will not at all interrupt the content which is being played.
It will only stop playing when the program ends or when a TV remote is used to perform another function on the TV.
Read More: How to Use Zoom App on LG Smart TV?
Customizing SmartCast Core Apps – How to Add Apps On Vizio Smart TV
Core apps are in-built apps installed onto the TV and are directly accessible on the screen without casting. Below I have mentioned some Vizio SmartCast TV Core Apps
- CBS News
- Dove Channel
- Love Destination
- Pluto TV
- Amazon Prime Video
- Toon Goggles
- TV Games
- YouTube TV
Managing core apps are quite easy, Vizio’s Customize App Row feature comes in handy when you want to manage the preinstalled apps.
This feature allows you to re-order the core apps that are displayed on your screen so that you can re-group your favorite apps together.
Here’s how you can easily use Customize App Row option:
- Press the [Customize App Row] icon on your remote control.
- Select the app using left and right arrow keys provided on the remote control and press [OK] and then [Done]
Read More: How To Watch ESPN+ On LG Smart TV?
SmartCast – How Does it Work?
Google Chromecast platform is the foundation of SmartCast which allows to steam internet app content on a TV.
Through casting it from a compatible smartphone or tablet. It’s that the TV has a built-in Chromecast and you don’t need to plug in a Chromecast dongle into the TV.
But the SmartCast app for smartphones or tablets goes beyond casting that provides a control for all TV functions including – input selection, sound settings, and picture calibration settings.
The best feature I like is that the TV will automatically switch from the current source input to the casting source.
SmartCast also allows you to see what apps it is available when selecting a movie title or a TV, instead of going around to check each app to find that out.
It also provides you the recommendation based on your affinity.
To Conclude: Above in the post I have mentioned different methods on how to add apps on Vizio Smart TV, how can you Customizing SmartCast Core Apps, and how to add Apps to a SmartCast TV.
All the methods are comprehensively researched and tested before writing this post.
Also, additional information is provided for older Vizio TVs that feature Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) and Vizio Internet Apps+ (VIA+).
You can read about it above. Hope this will help. Stay Safe! Comment below for any queries related to Vizio Smart TV. I will be glad to help.