In this digital world, it is a good habit if you backup your devices and data. You should know how to backup and restore an iPhone. If you are an iPhone user, There can be several reasons why you want to backup and restore your iPhone.
Sometimes your phone starts troubling you so much that you want to restore it to factory conditions and then apply the backup. Or you might need to back up when you want to transfer your current data to your new iPhone or you just need to store the backup because of some other reasons.
You can backup your iPhone using various methods. There are many platforms available to take a backup of an iPhone like iTunes, iCloud, Google One, Finder application, and with a USB cable.
Now let’s see how we can backup and restore an iPhone.
iTunes: Backup and Restore
If you decide to go for iTunes you can restore the backup only from the Apple account on your computer and you don’t use the cloud to store the backup which means if anything happens to your computer, your backup will be lost. With iTunes, your data is encrypted so you can easily backup your passwords, health information, and other sensitive data.
Follow the steps to backup and restore:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer
- Open iTunes and sign in to your Apple ID.
- Click on the phone icon left on the iTunes homepage.
- Now you will get two choices to backup to pc or iCloud.
- Choose this computer and then hit back up now. To save the data on your computer.
- Your backup is successfully done.
- To restore your backup file tap on the restore backup button which is next to the backup button on the same screen.
Here is your backup file with iTunes:
- XP system: C: \Documents and Settings\ Your Username \ Application Data \ Apple Computer \ MobileSync \ Backup
- WIN 7 / 8 / 10 system: C: \ Users \ Yourusername \ AppData \ Roaming \ AppleComputer \ MobileSync \ Backup
- MAC: Library \ ApplicationSupport \ MobileSync \ Backup
Read More: Why Does My iPhone Keep Restarting Itself?
iCloud: Backup and Restore
If you decide to use iCloud to store the data you can access it anytime, anywhere. But if the backup data is too much you might need to get the paid iCloud account. iCloud gives you 5GB of space for free.
But if you want more you need more space you need the paid plans. Apple provides 50GB of storage for 99 cents a month, 200GB for $2.99 a month, or 2TB for $9.99 a month.
You can backup your data in 3 ways with iCloud
- Go to iCloud
- Select the items which you intend to back up. Turn the slide to the right and make it green.
- Go to settings
- Go to iCloud and turn on the iCloud drive. It will allow apps to store data and documents in it.
There are two ways in which you can backup i.e. manually and automatically.
To backup manually-
- Connect your device to a wi-fi network and go to settings.
- Open iCloud and hit iCloud backup. Make sure that you are connected to the Wi-Fi network in the entire process.
- Tap on backup now.
- When the process will be completed you will be successfully able to have a backup file on your phone.
- To see your backup file go to settings, tap on iCloud and reach out to iCloud Storage. In the iCloud storage tap on manage storage and select your device. You will be able to see the backup with the time and size of the backup.
To backup automatically-
- Go to settings, tap on your name.
- Locate iCloud and click on it. After that, you will see the option of iCloud backup, make sure it is turned on.
- For Automatic backup, you should make sure that your device is connected to a wi-fi network and your iCloud has enough space to store your backup files.
Things included in iCloud backup-
App data / Apple Watch backups / Call history / Device settings / Health data / HomeKit configuration / Home screen and app organization / iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages, photos, and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch / Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books / Ringtones / Visual Voicemail password this requires the SIM card that was in use during backup.
Restore from iCloud:
Make sure you give a fresh start to your iPhone before you restore your backup. to reset or erase all the content go to settings, reach out to the general tab, and hit reset. Now choose the option to erase all contents and settings.
- Now restart your iPhone
- Login to iCloud with your Apple ID.
- Choose the backup file you created and start the transfer.
- Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network in wait for the process to complete.
- It will take time depending on the size of your backup files and you need to stay connected to the Wi-Fi until the process completes.
- If the backup file is huge it might take up to two hours or days to retain the data in your device.
Read More: How To Reset Network Settings On An iPhone?
Finder Application: Backup and Restore
Finder application you can restore the backup only from the Apple account on your computer and you don’t use the cloud to store the backup which means if anything happens to your computer, your backup will be lost.
With Finder, your data is encrypted so you can easily backup your passwords, health information, and other sensitive data. Users with Mac running macOS Catalina or higher choose to go with the Finder Application.
- Connect iPhone to Mac and open finder.
- Now click on go then computer from the menu.
- Tap on your phone under the location heading.
- Click on the trust button and enter the passcode.
- Now under the backup section choose the option which is suitable for you and hit the button back up now.
- When you hit the button the process will start and you will be able to see the status of your backup on the status bar at the bottom of the screen.
- When the process will complete the last backup file will be of today with the time when you took the backup.
- To restore your iPhone. Go to the same page as earlier.
- This time click on Restore backup.
- Choose the appropriate file from the drop-down menu and hit the restore button.
- Now, wait for the process to be completed.
Google One: Backup and Restore
The advantages of storing the backup in the cloud can also be availed by using Google One but as an iPhone user you can only back up your contacts, calendar, photos, and videos not the apps, settings, and other items.
- Open the Google One app.
- Tap on Set up data backup from the home screen.
- Choose the content that you wish to backup.
- You can also choose to have a backup on your cellular data instead of a wi-fi network.
- Hit the Backup button now and your data will be backed up sometime. You can access the data that you wish to access from Google drive.
USB cable: Backup and Restore
One of the ways to have a backup of your files the old fashion way is to connect your phone with the computer using a USB cable.
Now open your phone on your PC and copy the files which you want to take the backup of.
Paste them into your computer storage and disconnect your iPhone with pc.
When you want to restore the data you can follow the same procedure. All you have to do this time is a copy from the computer and paste it into your phones’ memory.
Read More: Where To Sell My iPhone?
In the end:
Now you know how to backup and restore an iPhone and in how many different ways you can do so. You can use any of the above options which are suitable for you. As each of the options have its pros and cons. Hope you found the article helpful.
Keep reading, keep growing.