Facebook is a social media app that lets people send or receive messages, view friends’ posts and stories on Facebook. Though you make a profile on Facebook, in order to send or receive messages, you must install the Facebook Messenger app on your device.
On Facebook, many times we come across people whom we don’t want to talk to, or don’t want them to send messages to us. Like any other social media app, the feature of blocking and unblocking is also available in Facebook Messenger.
Through this post, I will guide you on how to block or unblock someone on Facebook Messenger.
How to block on Facebook Messenger?
Although both apps are different, the settings of both will be found in the same place. You can block someone on Facebook and they will automatically be blocked on Facebook messenger.
Whereas, If you block someone on messenger, you can still be able to view posts and stories uploaded by them. The only difference is, you can’t receive or send messages to someone if you have blocked them on messenger.
So, let’s take a look to see how to block or unblock someone on Facebook messenger.
1. On Desktop app
If you prefer to use the desktop app or browser for using Facebook messenger, you can block anyone in just in a snap.
- Firstly, open the conversation you want to block in your sidebar and move your cursor over it.
- Click on the three dots that appear on the top.
- A drop-down will pop up with several settings options. One of them would be for blocking the messages. Click block on Messenger.
- A warning notification will appear, informing you that you will stop receiving messages and calls from the blocked person.
- Click on Block messages. And now you have blocked the user from sending any messages or spam on Facebook messenger.
2. On Mobile app
If you prefer to use an Android or iPhone device. you can follow the given mentioned steps to block someone on Facebook Messenger:
- Launch the Messenger app on your iPhone or Android device.
- On the top left, your profile picture will appear in a circle. tap on it
- Your profile details will appear on your screen. Scroll down and find the privacy/preference section, Tap on it.
- Tap on the people option and you will find the blocked accounts option. Tap on it
- A list will appear of your blocked contacts if there are any. You will find an option named add someone.
- Now scroll down to your friend list and tap on the contacts or friends on which you want to block. You can also type the name of person you want to block. This will bring you to a new page
- Tap on Block Messeages and Calls. If you want to block them on Facebook as well there is also an option to block on Facebook.
- A warning popup will appear. Click on the block again.
That’s it! You have successfully blocked the other person on Facebook messenger. The steps are quite easy and cannot take more than 5 min to do it.
Now, once you’ve blocked someone on messenger, you can unblock them anytime later. In case you regret it after blocking, just follow the mentioned steps to unblock them.
How to unblock someone on messenger?
- Open messenger for Windows or macOS.
- Click on your profile picture appears in the top left of the screen.
- Click on preferences settings from the drop-down list.
- Once done, select account settings. It will take you to a different setting page
- Now in your Facebook settings click on blocking on the left
- Scroll down and you will see the list of your friends click on unblock next to the name of the person you want to unblock.
How to unblock someone from Facebook messenger Android
- If you wish to remove someone from the messenger block list via Android or iPhone follow the mentioned steps
- Launch the Messenger app on your Android or iPhone device
- From chats, Tap on your profile picture in the top left.
- Click on privacy and then on blocked accounts.
- A list of people who you blocked previously will appear. Click on the person you want to unblock.
- Finally, click on block messages and calls a message will prompt up saying your Facebook account may start receiving messages and calls from the Facebook account.
- Click on unblock
Now, you’ve successfully unblocked them from Facebook messenger.
- How To Verify Facebook Account?
- Fix Login Problem With Facebook
- What is Facebook Touch?
- How Does Facebook Suggest Friends You May Know
- Who Viewed My Facebook Profile?
- Why Facebook Account Disabled
Blocking and unblocking someone on Facebook messenger is not rocket science. The guide will help you throughout no matter which device you are using, you can easily block or unblock someone on Facebook messenger. Both the settings for Facebook and messenger are in the same place. Remember, if you block someone on Facebook, they will automatically be blocked on messenger. But if you block on messenger, they won’t be blocked on Facebook too.