This is not a surprising question for many of us who are trying to figure out the exact age of the iPhone. You no longer need to stress yourself out due to this question anymore, You have come to the right place for the right answer.
You might be wondering why I need to know the age of my iPhone. Well, when you are buying a new iPhone, knowing the age of your older iPhone will help you determine and estimate the exchange rate of your iPhone.
Or maybe you are just trying to sell your iPhone. Knowing the age of your iPhone helps a lot with getting the right for your device. Besides, knowing the manufacturing date, warranty date, purchase date, etc. may come in handy. You never know when you might need any of these details. Can you find the age of your iPhone? Yes, you can, and you have come to the right place for it.
How to check the age of your iPhone?
There are multiple ways to do this. One of the simplest ones is to find the serial number of your device which can be found either on the back of your phone or in the settings menu of your iPhone.
The serial number of a phone contains a lot of details about the device such as where exactly was it manufactured, in which factory, the configuration of the device, and so on.
You can find the serial number of your device by going to Setting > General > About > Serial Number. Once you obtain the serial number, you can use the below chart to comprehend what those characters mean.
iPhones have a 12-digit serial number, where each character determines a certain meaning and field. The further character out of the 12 characters in the serial number gives you the year of manufacturing.
You need to note the fourth character of the serial number and use the below chart to determine the year of manufacturing –
- K – 2013 (First Half)
- L – 2013 (Second Half)
- M – 2014 (First Half)
- N – 2014 (Second Half)
- P- 2015 (First Half)
- Q- 2015 (Second Half)
- R- 2016 (First Half)
- S- 2016 (Second Half)
- T- 2017 (First Half)
- V- 2017 (Second Half)
- W- 2018 (First Half)
- X- 2018 (Second Half)
- Y- 2019 (First Half)
Using Apple Check Coverage
This is an official web page from Apple to help its iPhone users to determine the details of their iPhones using their serial number which we obtained in the previous steps. This page will show you details like warranty, support, and service coverage.
Here is how you can utilize this facility from Apple.
- Go to https://checkcoverage.apple.com/us/en on your MAC, PC, or iPhone.
- You will be prompted to for a serial number. Enter your iPhone’s serial number in the input field, confirm the code, and click “Continue”.
- On the next page you will you see the all the details related to your iPhone including the expiration date of the warranty of your iPhone.
You can determine the age of your iPhone by checking out the warranty. Apple always provides a one-year manufacturer warranty. You can calculate your iPhone’s age by deducting one year from the expiration date mentioned.
Determine the age of iPhone using third-party tools
“Chipmunk” online tool is a good example of a third-party tool that can help you figure out how old your iPhone really is. This is a “Dutch” website, and their services are free. It can help you out with details about your iPhone like the year of production and week of production.
Here is how you can use this tool.
- You first need to go to this site – http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html using your iMac, PC, or phone.
- You will then need to provide the serial number of your phone.
- Once you have entered the serial number, click on “Laat de informatie zien” (Show the information) button.
- Once you are forward to the next page, you will be able to determine exactly how old your iPhone is. You can determine this on the basis of year of production and production week.
You may also like these topics
- 4 Ways to Restore Deleted Apps On iPhone
- How To Backup And Restore An iPhone?
- Where To Sell My iPhone?
- How to Reset iPhone Back to Factory Setting?
While it is always a possibility to determine the age of your iPhone at any given stage from the date of purchase, the best way always is to keep the copy of the bill as a soft copy in your cloud storage or your email and name it appropriately.
A little initial effort goes a long way in preserving information in the long run. This way you can find out the age of your iPhone at any given point in time for many years to come.
Apart from saving a copy of your bill, you can use the serial number of your phone to determine the age of your iPhone, and you will get other useful information as well. This will certainly help you sell or exchange your old iPhone for a more respectable price.
Hopefully, this information will help you out.